Monday, June 15, 2009

Project 3- Precedence Analysis

Pompidou Centre






Musee d'Orsay



The Pompidou Centre and Musee d'Orsay influenced my gallery design. The facade of the Pompidou Centre incorporates the building's services and circulation paths. This frees the floor plans within the centre allowing the building to adapt to the displays. By placing the structure on the outside of the building it creates a machine-like quality to the facade. This is a quality that I was interested in recreating in my gallery design for Robert Klippel.
The Musee d'Orsay also inspired my design. This museum achieves natural light through large skylights. Short partitions separate allow the natural light to flow through the displays and also allows the sound of other gallery goers to permiate throughout the museum creating an energetic atmosphere. I also appreciated the neat linear circulation paths of the museum however due to my artist and his dislike of horizontal planes I had to let this idea go.

No comments: